Memory Quilts

My biggest finishes of the end of 2017 were undoubtedly the memory t-shirt quilts.  A wonderful family in our parish lost their dad to cystic fibrosis several years ago.  K asked me to make quilts for their three kids out of his t-shirts in October.  I basically dropped all of my other projects and started working on these.

I didn't share a ton, and I'm not putting them on Instagram.  But not many IRL acquaintances read this, so I feel a little better about sharing them here.  They just seem like really personal things to share in my community.

I designed each of them myself; they were based off of various pictures and inspiration from Pinterest and Instagram, but I didn't use a pattern from anywhere.  K picked out which t-shirts needed to go in which quilt, so I based the designs largely from that. 

They were the first t-shirt quilts I've made.  The steam press is an absolute must; it made putting the stabilizer on SO much quicker and easier. 


The one for the eldest - a simple design with a large stipple all over.  The Dad wore cargo shorts everywhere, all year, so I incorporated a pocket into each quilt.  It was a bit of a challenge, but I love the final result.  I was a little worried about the thread I'd picked on this one, but it definitely worked overall.


A bit of a closer view of the cargo pocket - I obviously couldn't quilt over too much of it!


The daughter's quilt - I wish in retrospect I'd made this one a bit wider, but I do love the final design.  She's an amazing artist herself, so hopefully she approves.  I did three different colors of thread in the quilting, so it was a lot of stops and starts.  The blocks were about an inch wider than my long-arm could accommodate, so a lot of back and forth, too.  I did straight lines in the black, which were a ton of work and are almost impossible to see other than up close, but I'd probably chose to do the same thing again.


I used invisible thread for the t-shirts themselves, as there were multiple colors.  You can definitely see the texture when the quilts are in the sun like this.


This is the one K said she likes most, which I was so glad of, because it's the one I definitely struggled with the most.  I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like, but getting the design onto the wall was much harder than I'd anticipated.  I am pleased with the results, though! 


I did a more dense overall quilting on this one.  I used a silver thread, so it was more noticeable in the black, but K said she loved how it looks. 


In addition to a larger section of the cargo short (an even bigger challenge) I left a pocket from a hoodie intact, so you can still put your hands in the pockets.  

Overall, I think I put more thought and prayer into these quilts than any other I've made.  I didn't know the Dad well, but I knew him my entire life.  His younger sister was in my class from pre-school through high school.  I hope he's looking down and approves!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

Another year of Quarantine

Kate Spain Charm Swap Finish!