A good weekend

It was really a wonderful weekend.  I love it when I can say that!  Saturday we went into the Quad County Porkfest.  They had a pie-baking contest, and I came in second!  There weren't that many entries, so I didn't get too worked up, but I still won a really nice pie carrier.  I made a pecan pie, and it was pretty tasty. I think if I hadn't overcooked the top a bit (it was too dark) I might have won.  You may wonder why a pie-baking contest at a porkfest?  All the crusts had to be made with lard. Which does make the best pie crusts!

It was a beautiful day to be outside, so we wandered around the booths, and I bought a couple of Christmas presents.  Mom then took Gunner, and Isadora and I headed to town.  We went out to lunch at Culver's, then grocery shopping, the fabric store ($1 patterns!) and a haircut.  It was supposed to be my haircut, but I decided she needed it a lot more than I did.  And it turned out beautifully.  But the best part was that she was wonderfully behaved the whole time.

Sunday we attempted our first geocache!  There were a couple of very local ones, and not difficult ones, so it worked out really well.


This is the second one we found.  It was at an old church and cemetery, not far from my house, that I was completely unaware of.  We walked through the cemetery; mostly old tombstones, many from the 1800's.  It really makes you appreciate modern medicine and vaccines.  There was a family with four children's tombstones; three of them died before the age of 2, and the fourth died at 7.  Some tombstones were so old you couldn't read them.  But someone is obviously taking good care of the site. It was well maintained, as were the church grounds.

After that we headed to a neighborhood fish-fry.  Very good time - the hostess and one of the neighbors caught and filleted all the fish, and they were cooked wonderfully.  Both kids ate fish till they couldn't eat another bite.  I definitely need to get my pond stocked!!  Although I'm not sure how well I'd do at the filleting part.  :)

All in all a great weekend.  Life is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

Another year of Quarantine

Kate Spain Charm Swap Finish!