WIP Thursday

Some fresh changes to the list...

First of all, I took on a project that I absolutely don't have time for, but am going to do anyway.  There is a family in my church who lost their father several years ago.  She has three teenagers, and she asked if I'd be willing to make t-shirt quilts for her kids for Christmas.  I have no idea if I can actually get it done, but I'm certainly going to try!  She didn't want solid t-shirts, or just plain blocks, so I found three patterns that I like, and am going to try and do a different pattern for each kid.  I hope to get all three done and quilted, but we'll see!  I think getting the layout done will be the hardest, but hopefully I can make it happen.

I made progress piecing modern blues.  It's definitely not hard, but does take some organization!  Used my quilt marking pencils to keep track of the various strips, and so far it seems to be working.  We'll see how it comes together!  The grain on the background fabric just doesn't want to lie straight, so it's going to be a bit wonky looking in spots, but it was either go with that or go insane trying to get it to line up.  (I wonder if that's why I got it so cheap on a destash??)

I'm working on Social Ladder for my inside project.  That will be a quick and easy finish, and very colorful!  Should make a nice addition to the rotation for my bed.  Or I should say it should start a rotation, since right now there's only one quilt that fits my bed.



I started the pouch for Glamp Stitch-a-Lot (SO SO SO looking forward to that holiday!) and should be able to get it finished pretty quickly.  It's all cut out; I need to cut out the interfacing, then it should go together pretty easily. 



I finished the #makeitmodernswap, and the piecing and quilting on the HST mini.




I should hopefully get started on the piecing for the Libs Elliott swap this week.



I have a retreat coming up next week, so I need to figure out what to focus on... Most likely those t-shirt quilts, although I may throw something else in the mix as well.  The QAD project I started before my original partner dropped out?  That might be fun.  But now to start planning what I need to do to prep working on those t-shirt quilts...


Recent Finishes 

#makeitmodern Mini for swap 

Piecing 

Barb's Quilt - finished center 16 patches and four patches, working on the x-blocks
Quilter's Patch - BOM from FQS.  Finished six(?) blocks
Making Modern - Blues 
Social Ladder
#glampstitchaswap pouch 
QAD Flight Effects mini 

Needs Binding

PB&J four patch
HST mini
   
Top Completed, Waiting for Quilting

Every Which Way - ready to load 
Mom's quilt - basted
 
Moda Building Blocks
Fat Quarter quick quilt - Black and White batiks 
Frond butterfly quilt
Loominous
Batik HST - quilting partially done

Planning 

#libselliotminiswap
Sparklers
Abacus
Triple Barn Star - for Bev 
Aviatrix - stalled, need to get moving on this one! 
Making Modern - Rainbow quilt

UFO's

Craftsy QAYG
Fabulous Flowers
Blossoms
Farmer's Wife - should move indoors for the smaller projects...

Comments

  1. As one who has done two t-shirt quilts, I suggest that you involve someone else to help you!! Get another person who sews to help you lay out the shirts and decide how to cut them out and what details to include. I nearly missed the back neck detail on one shirt, and had to restitch it so it showed up. It was the University logo of the basketball camp, and wasn't on the front.
    Also, having two people would make the straight sewing of the rows/columns go faster. Then, that person could start on the next quilt while you were doing the quilting on the first one.
    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! So far it seems to be going pretty well. Most of the t-shirts were pretty straightforward, so issues with missing logos. One was reversible, though, so I had to pick a side! I have a quilt retreat this weekend, and will see how much progress I can make. I will likely ask for help from my guild with the binding. It's my absolute least favorite part and I procrastinate on it something awful. At least with the deadline that will help motivate me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another year of Quarantine

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

November - on the downward side of 2020!