Skip to main content

Kate Spain Charm Swap Finish!

Quite a while ago, I participated in a Kate Spain Charm Swap over at Quilts from my Crayon Box.  I just loved the assortment I got back!  So colorful and bright, and so cheery to just have in a stack and pet.  But I decided to actually use them all.  I wanted a pattern that would really show off the variety of fabrics, and this one from Moda Bake Shop seemed to be a great fit.  I enlarged it to use up all the charms.  It's almost a complete charm quilt - I had to add in just a few duplicates to make enough squares.  I absolutely love the final result!


The fabrics have such great variety I didn't really have to consciously do any fabric placement - they all looked good together!


I used one of my favorites from terrain for the cornerstones and binding. 


The quilter did a great job - outlined the stars and added a small flower to the center of each, with a moderately tight stipple throughout the rest. 




I'm completely torn on what to do with this one.  My aunt hinted she'd like it, but I absolutely love it myself, but I also need to try and sell a few quilts.  For now, it's gone into the stack.  Regardless, I'm quite pleased with the results!  



Comments

  1. Wow, you are so right -- this is a great way to show off these prints. I love those bright oranges especially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy colors = happy quilt! And really outstanding with that backdrop. What a great place for a quilt photo. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. You FM flowers look lovely! It is hard figuring out what to do with quilts. So difficult to giveaway the ones you love. I have a difficult time selling them too, then you don't get to see them again! GASP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quilt. I think I'd have a hard time parting with this one if it were mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sure see why you're having a difficult time deciding what to do with the quilt. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed - just love that star pattern. It shows off all those prints perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice quilt. Many different prints but still they go together in a nice way. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another pattern on the to do list. It is awesome (and for me it would be definitely a keeper), thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course you need to keep it for yourself. I'm actually considering hosting a 3rd round of the Kate Spain Charm Swap this fall and if I do and if you join in, you could get enough charms to make your aunt a quilt of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! It's so funny that we made the same one just over a week apart. I agree though, perfect pattern for the charms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…