Skip to main content

March Planning

So some much overdue pictures.  This is a close up of the quilting on my pink mini for a swap, loved how it turned out!


Every which way, a Moda Bakeshop post.  I have a quilting plan in mind, but I think I'm going to wait for my long-arm quilter to arrive (!!!) to execute. 


Another Moda Bakeshop quilt, with my handy quilt holders.  Hard to believe this was taken in Iowa, in February!  This quilt got NO love on the website.  I'm telling myself it's because it was posted during QuiltCon.  Yeah, that's it...


My Charlie Harper mini!  LOVE LOVE LOVE this one, and actually made two, so I get to keep one!  They're almost identical, I just added a layer of batting behind the owls on one of them.  Several new techniques on this one; I did some machine quilting with 12 wt thread for the owl, and embroidered the eyes.  Fun stuff!


A crochet project!  My son has used and loved his baby blanket basically to shreds, so I'm making this one as a, well, I can't really call it a replacement, so I'll call it an upgrade.  We'll see if he takes to it at all! 


And some more embroidery!  This one is for another mini, one that came in a Quilty box.  French General fabrics and pattern.  Not a designer I would normally chose for myself, but I do love how this one is turning out, and it will go beautifully in my sewing room indoors.  



When I made Every Which Way, there were a bunch of extra HST's, so I decided to have a little fun designing some minis.  I'll try and get this one sewn together this weekend. 



And the Urban Brights Challenge!  I tried to stretch myself on this one.  It's a LOT of color, and I did an improv design.  I love how it's turning out!  Frond has the most beautiful, saturated colors.  I am usually drawn more towards their floral designs, so the Urban line was a bit out of my comfort zone, but it's good to be a bit uncomfortable now and then.  I'm using a combination of FMQ, straight-line stitches and specialty stitches on my Elna. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…