Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday

Time for a much, much overdue WIP Wednesday...

This week I had to entirely empty out my huge fabric cabinets.  We are building a shop on our acreage, and we designed a loft room to go into the top of one end.  It's going to be 12x30, so a good sized space. The idea is that someday I will own a long-arm quilting machine, and that will be its home.  In the meantime, it will still be my primary sewing room.  The current sewing room will covert to the guest room, and the current smaller guest room will be my 'satellite' sewing room.  So I get a ton of room, but that does mean a LOT of thinking and organizing about what will go where. 

The loft room is open right now, and I put the cabinets on pallets so the construction company can lift them up with forklifts and get them put into place.  The things are well over six feet tall, and weigh a TON, so this is by far the best way to move them!  It involved 5 adults just to move them the 15 feet to the pallets (although that did include putting them through a window!)

It also made me think about future projects, since I'm not entirely sure when I'll get to open the four large boxes of fabric again.  So I pulled out a couple that have been on this planning list for a while.  I'm sure that will keep me busy!  

Recent Completions:
Thicket of Stars, aka Secret Project #3
Control Panel (still need pictures)
Mondo Bag

WIPS

Aviatrix
Farmer's Wife
Moda Building Blocks
PB&J Four Square (Leader/Ender project)

Needs Binding



Final Frontier (fall dinner quilt)

Top Completed, Waiting for Quilting

Breezeway
Landscape
Secret Garden
KerBloom
Stars

Planning 

Secret Project #4
Gravity
Sparklers
Abacus
Triple Barn Star

UFO's

Craftsy QAYG
Vintage Modern Scrappy
Fabulous Flowers
Blossoms

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…