Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday

Some pretty big changes this week!  I feel like I've had no time whatsoever to sew this summer.  Even though I took all of last week off, very little of it was I able to spend in the sewing room, and what time I did spend there, after finishing up some binding, was cutting out apparel projects.  I have another secret project in the works; I just got the fabric yesterday, so that will obviously jump to the top of the queue.  I also changed my plans for the fall dinner quilt - it had been sticks and stones, but I decided to use the same fabric but for something completely different.  I hope it turns out!  I have the backs pieced for all of the quilts that are waiting for quilting, so I'm hoping to maybe get those basted soon.  I think I'm going to try and tackle the quilting on all of them.  

Recent Completions!!

Control Panel
Starry Field (aka Secret Project #2)
Kelley's Quilt 


WIPS


Aviatrix (I've at least made the templates, so I'm counting that as a start!)
Farmer's Wife 
Fall Dinner Quilt

Needs Binding
 
 


At the quilter:



   

Top Completed, waiting for quilting:

Breezeway
Landscape
Secret Garden

KerBloom

Planning: 

Secret Project #3

Snowbird BOM
Gravity
Abacus
Moda Building Blocks??
Triple Barn Star (w/ Morris layer cake)

UFO's:

Craftsy QAYG quilt (three of twelve completed)
Vintage Modern Scrappy
Fabulous Flowers - stalled until I figure out how to fix it... 

Stars - another stalled until I figure out what to do with it...
Blossoms (ender and leader set-up) - ditto on needing a new plan 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…