Skip to main content

Simply Woven in Bella Solids

This project was my reminder (not that I really needed one…) that toddlers, quilts and scissors don't mix.  I went into my craft room one day to find a good half-dozen squares had been vandalized by a two year old.  Luckily, I had enough remnants (barely!!) to repair.


And the end result is completely worth it!  This is another Moda Bakeshop Pattern, done in 1930's Bella Solids.  It's a generous twin size, and I love how it turned out.  



There is an all-over swirl pattern for the quilting, in a light lavender/silver color.  The binding is the same as the dark purple in the quilt.  I used a 108 in wide backing in purple, so nothing overly exciting there, just quick and functional.


This was another fun one to put together - you could just throw the blocks together any which way and it really worked.


I think I'll probably list this one in my Etsy shop, unless my niece decides that she loves it.  My daughter's bed is too big for this one, and it's actually a little too big to just be a cuddle quilt for the couch.


Don't you just love a good finish?!?

Comments

  1. Nice one! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt! I love the colors you chose. And yes, we've had multiple scissor incidents at our house as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt and lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super job - I love the colours you have used, and the quilting looks cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been eyeballing this pattern for quite some time and just wasn't sure which fabrics to use. I have the Sweet Things line from Lakehouse Drygoods (minus the donuts and baked goods) sitting here waiting to be made into a quilt for my daughter. I think they will be perfect for this quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…