Skip to main content

Update on the new machine

It's been a hugely busy weekend.  After being home from work sick on Thursday, I hit the ground running Friday and have been madly working on getting the basement finished.  It's been "finished", in that there is carpet on the floor and paint on the walls, for a while, but it's really been just an empty room with toys on the floor.  So I've been working on clearing out the storage room, hanging pictures, and finding things a home, as opposed to making neat stacks of stuff in corners.  So the dartboard is up, the coin cases are up, the golf stuff is up, the RAGBRAI posters are up, and the new Ikea shelves are put together.  The big project is going to be to put built-in bookshelves/entertainment center along one wall.  We looked at the price for custom cabinets, but at $15K, it was a bit out of reach.  So for much, much, much less than that, we're working on building some.  My BIL and his friends should be working on it this week, and my goal is to have a completed basement living room by the time Marc gets home next week.  I'm not sure if I can get there, especially since I have three days in lake of the Ozarks next week, but I'll do my best!  So probably not a lot of quilting is going to get done over the next two weeks. 

I've had a couple of days to play with my new machine before all the madness started.  Initial impressions?  It does do a fabulous straight stitch; I'd put it right up there with my Elna.  The walking foot is great - I bound a quilt with it, and it was SO much easier than on my old machine.  Although I'm not sure how fair a comparison it is, because the quilter did just a great job of quilting clear to the edge of the quilt (my old quilter used lovely designs, but often there was 2-4 inches along the outside that wasn't quilted at all).  I hate the bobbin case; I'm used to the drop in bobbin.  I guess it's pretty standard for some machines, and I suppose I'll get used to it, but for now I grumble at it regularly.  On the plus side, you can change the bobbin with the walking foot on!  I like the large table - I think that had a lot to do with making the binding job so easy. 

I've also been working with my sister on getting the rental house ready for her to move into.  We got the new cabinets ordered, which is going to make a HUGE difference in that kitchen.  BIL and his buddies will also be tearing out the old cabinets.  I think he'll also invite his mother out - she loves to do destruction!  So all of this in addition to the 4th of July festivities.  No wonder my fitbit says I did more 10,000+ step days this week than I ever have! 


Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…

Charity quilt - finished!

Another charity quilt is finished and donated!  This is another one by Patricia in Spokane, and sent to Jo at Jo's Country Junction, and on to me to finish, then off to the ladies of the Kountry Quilters for binding.  

I went with an all-over spiral pattern for this one.  I definitely need a little practice; I need to keep my spacing more even and just get more experience at filling in small areas, but practice makes better, and finished is better than perfect.

This is a nice sized lap or throw, and will also be going to the SNICU (Surgical and Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit) at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. It's an adult unit that cares for and treats the most severely ill patients.  They care for patients with severe illnesses, catastrophic trauma, aneurysm patients and more.  As you can imagine, they deal with patients who pass away on a regular basis.  When a family makes the difficult decision to withdraw life support or a patient is near end-of-life,…

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…