Skip to main content

Life and other Stuff

It was a fantastic weekend.  The weather finally turned, and on Sunday we went up to Sean and Barb's to celebrate Grace and Colin's first communions.  It was wonderful - the kids all got to play outside, and the adults got to play with them. :)  My Dad loves to play ball, and he was having a blast teaching the young ones the fundamentals of how to swing a bat.  I will admit my dear daughter is not the most naturally athletically inclined kid!  And we have been remiss in getting her outside to just teach her how to play catch.

I did a much better job of getting outside after work this week, too.  I need to do it more often - who cares if I don't feed the kids till 7?  We're outside, having fun, exercising, getting fresh air.  





Other random notes - some self portraits in my attempt to make sure that there are actually pictures of me with my kids.



I put up curtains in my craft room.  I used the ties from Jelly Rolls for the tiebacks.  It makes me smile.  (Total win on the curtains - too.  They were the ones that used to hang in the dining room, three or four houses ago.  Just happen to work in this room - get something out of storage and don't spend money!)


Here are some of the fat quarters going into one of my next projects.  I signed up for the machine quilting class on Craftsy.  These are going into the squares - it's a quilt as you go project, so fulfills one of my yearly goals.  I think it will also be the quilt I'll give to the church to auction off, so a two for one!


And just because it makes me smile, Gunner napping on my hubby.  He was one tuckered out little boy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…