Skip to main content

Improv block - finished!

 


This block is for a quilting bee I'm in.  I'll admit it was due in December.  But it is an improv block, and that is something entirely new for me!  I've been looking at it for weeks, and last night finally took the plunge.  I think it turned out pretty well overall!  The directions had some of the stripes being much narrower, and I actually ended up cutting it apart several times to make them thinner and fit more colors in.  The 'gentle curves' the guidelines called for turned out pretty well, I thought.  I might be tempted to try some more of this improv stuff!


Comments

  1. I think I would have a hard time doing an improv block. Kudos to you, it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.


As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…

Charity Quilt Finish!

Another charity quilt is quilted, bound, and donated!

This was made by Diana Vaclovick of Sweeny, TX, and sent to the amazing Jo Kramer of Jo's Country Junction.   Jo sent it on to me for quilting, and my lovely fellow guildmates in the Kountry Quilters of Wellman bound it.



I did a simple loop design, which is good for a beginner like me and makes for a nice soft quilt for a child.  Perfect for this kid-sized, kid-friendly fabric!


A fun and colorful quilt!

Here it is on display at the auction - it was sold to help support Feed the Kids, and organization that supplies backpacks of food for kids in need each Friday, so they have enough food to get them through the weekend.  It brought enough to fill a backpack every week for the entire year for one child! 

I'm sure the recipient will like it as much as my little nephew/model - he thought it was the perfect size for him!

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…