Skip to main content

Ouch...

My poor girl fell on Wednesday night.  I could tell she'd done some damage to her teeth.  Took her to the dentist first thing yesterday.  The dentist took one look at her and said she'd never seen anything like it in 25 years of practice, and an oral surgeon would be required.  Of course, since it was an accident, medical insurance, not dental, would take it.  Well, none of the oral surgeons take medical insurance, so I had to go to the ER.  We have a local university, so went there to get further referred to the dental school.  Although it sounds bad, I have to say they were remarkably efficient in most places. 

She had basically landed straight on her teeth, and pushed three of the baby teeth clear up into her gums.  They were even with the un-erupted front teeth, so they were way up there.  She'd fractured the root on one of them, too.  After multiple people taking a look, the general consensus was that all of the damaged baby teeth had to come out, even the canine and molar, which she normally wouldn't have lost until about age 12.  The extraction was definitely not fun for anyone involved.  She had been so brave up to that point, and just lost it.  It was breaking my heart listening to her scream and cry.

I kept her home from school again today, she's at grandma's.  Her face is still very swollen. She's now missing five teeth on top, and two on bottom.  Guess some milkshakes are in her future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…