Skip to main content

Finally done!!!

Finished my first string quilt!  I finished the top to this last Christmas, but it seemed to take forever to get it fully completed!  Since it was a gift for my in-laws, and they are coming to visit, I guess I finally had the proper motivation.  The pattern is from Stratavarious Quilts, and it went together pretty easily.  Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results.



There are a couple of other really beautiful quilts in the book, if you haven't seen it.  They are all string quilts from fat quarters.  I have a TON of fat quarters (I may have a slight problem, as in I-really-need-a-support-group problem, when it comes to fat quarters) so I think I'll probably do at least one more.  Several of them involve some really large scale applique, so that would be yet something else new!

Comments

  1. Love your quilt!!! And you share your name with my oldest daughter - love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all suffer from "fat quarter collecting syndrome"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice finish! I know what you mean about your "problem", my problem involves charm squares...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt, so unusual with the black!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! I just spent way too long staring at it and loving all he overlaping squares. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the effect of your quilt. It looks a little like water and lava.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Your in-laws will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty. I love the blues. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! They will just love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…