A New Year

As I expected, I didn't get as much done over break as I would have liked, but I did make a decent amount of progress!

I finished piecing Modern Blues, and decided since it was done and pressed, and I didn't want to iron it again later (seriously, had I considered the amount of ironing involved in quilting before I started, I might never have picked up the hobby...) I just went ahead and loaded in onto the long-arm.  I knew I wanted to do something pretty simple, and modern.  The background fabric I used didn't lend itself to dense quilting.  I had some variegated thread what was light blue, dark blue and grey, so that was a perfect fit.  I did wavy lines across the quilt, and used a template to add a circle somewhere on each bar.  It was a quick finish, and I love how it turned out!  Now it gets added to the binding pile...





Speaking of the binding pile, I did make progress on it!  I quilted mom's quilt, and bound it, and bound the PB&J quilt and the black and white quilt.  Obviously I still need to trim threads.


I love the look of the PB&J quilt on the bed.  I normally go with a darker binding, but this was a case of using what I had, and I rather like how it turned out.


I finished piecing Social Ladder as well.  So bright and colorful!  And using my previous logic of "only iron once", it's now loaded on the long-arm.  I have someone scheduled to come use the long-arm early next week, so I have a built-in deadline, which is definitely good.


I'm doing a block of the month quilt as well.  I love the colors, but I have to seriously question the construction on the blocks.  They only provide barely enough fabric, so any mistakes and you're out of luck, and it's almost impossible to use alternate construction.  There are a lot of extra seams, as they use half-square triangles instead of flying geese, and the HST construction technique they proscribe ends up with bias edges on all of them.  Which, to me, when you're making tiny little blocks, is a bad idea.  Still, I'm being slow and careful and it's coming out okay.


The only other thing I'd wanted to accomplish was finally finishing the quilting on my batik HST quilt.  In my defense, I did actually load it up and get started, but I'm having the same issue with the tension while pebbling.  It's fine on other stitches, but on small pebbling it is eyelashing something terrible on the back, no matter how tightly I crank up the top tension.  So I think I might give Nolting a call and see if they have any suggestions.

Hubby is back on night shifts, so evenings are pretty open after the kids get to bed.  So up tonight is starting on the quilting for social ladder.  I'm also going to do a bit more organization of planned projects, and prioritize what's coming next.  Time to start cutting!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another year of Quarantine

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

November - on the downward side of 2020!