Skip to main content

Monday WIP

Our guild's spring retreat is this weekend, and I need to figure out what I'm taking, and start the various preparations, so a good time to review the WIP list.  Forgive the ramblings here, definitely some thinking out loud (via typing) going on. 

 So, in looking at this I obviously need to have a binding binge some weekend!  Hubby is a huge help with the binding, so I'll probably wait until he's done with his current project, and then get on that.

I want to know out some of these piecing WIP's, so I'm going to take Barb's quilt, for sure.  I'll also take the PB&J quilt; that should be a quick finish to turn the pieces into a quilt.  I think I'll pull Social Ladder from the planning list; it's ready to go and I should be able to make good progress on that.  It's an easy pattern.  I may take the quick layer cake quilt along for the same reason...  If I get the fat quarter quilt cut this week I'll take it, it should piece together in no time.   Maybe I could take those squares I found at the auction, and piece them?  I'd need to find something for sashing. 

I have a ton of cutting to do for Aviatrix, so I don't want to do that since I won't have a table at the correct height.  The ones where I have individual blocks to cut are a bit problematic for a retreat.

I do find I'm emphasizing the quick and fast finishes, so I can get more practice on the long-arm.  I've finished up the quilting on a couple of quilts, and have another charity quilt on the frame now. 

I'm also getting some apparel sewing done.  I have several more projects to cut out.  I'm trying to do the #memademay17 on IG.  I'm positive I don't have enough to do without repeats, but we'll see how it goes!  I have some quick tunic patterns in the to-be-cut pile, so if I get those done I can add them to the wardrobe for the month. 

Hubby has been on second shift part of the last couple of weeks, and I will say it does wonders for my productivity.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like not having him around in the evenings, but if he's not there I have zero distractions after the kids are in bed!

WIP LIST

Piecing

Aviatrix - stalled, need to get moving on this one!
Farmer's Wife - should move indoors for the smaller projects...
Moda Building Blocks - moved indoors, add to list
PB&J Four Square - cut the alternating squares, just need to assemble top
Barb's Quilt - working on the center 16 patches, have the 4 patches inside as L/E projects, making progress
Quilter's Patch - BOM from FQS.  Finished three blocks

Needs Binding

Landscape
Grunge Mini
French General Mini
Breezeway
KerBloom
Stars

Top Completed, Waiting for Quilting

Every Which Way - need a back
Tilted Squares - need a back
Mom's quilt - basted
MSQC stars
Batik quick quilt

Planning 

Sparklers
Abacus
Social Ladder - for Bev
Layer Cake quick quilt (from weekend quilts book)
Fat Quarter quick quilt (pinterest pattern)
Fall Dinner quilt

UFO's

Craftsy QAYG
Vintage Modern Scrappy
Fabulous Flowers
Blossoms

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

Mosaic - DONE!

Many eons ago I finished my Mosaic quilt top.  It was from the Modern Minimal book, which is one that's been on my shelf for a while.  It has several tops that I would love to make; this was the first I'd attempted, and getting it out again has made me want to tackle a couple more.  In fact, my sister-in-law and brother are getting ready to move into their new house, and she's requested something in neutrals, and I think some of these designs would be perfect (off to adjust my to do list...)


To get back to the point of this post, I put together the Mosaic top, and it has sat in my stash ever since.  I've been trying to work through some of my WIP's, and also give a few more quilts to charity, and so decided that this one would be donated.  Enter the fabulous Jo of Jo's Country Junction.   She's got an entire project dedicated to finishing quilt tops and donating them to a wide variety of worthy causes.  As a fellow Iowa farm girl, I just love what she's …