Skip to main content

Wednesday WIP






There hasn't been a ton of time for sewing lately, although it seems like there should have been... Saturday my daughter had two 4-H workshops, one of which was for sewing.  Frankly, she was a bit advanced for what they were doing; it was for kids who'd really never sewn anything, but she did like having a project she could finish quickly.  She decided that she LOVES the featherweight; she's never sewn such straight seams before.  I brought along another machine for someone else to use as well; I love how much 4-H is doing for kids now.  There were a bunch of volunteers to help kids learn to sew. 


I finished the quilting on my Grunge mini.  Just some simple waves in the white sections to let the grunge show off.  I'll get this one bound and hung soon. 


This is a BOM from the Fat Quarter Shop.  I brought it inside to work on, as it's a good one for working on for a few minutes without needing a ton of space. 


This is the start of a commission for my sister-in-law.  She's requested a king size version, so it will be 7x7 of this block which will end up at 112 inches square.  Lots of squaring up of sub units will be required!  I have it all cut out, and am working on the 4 patches leader-and-ender style, so I'll keep making at least some progress. 


Another secret project!  I was lucky enough to get Kate Spain fabrics on this one.  I just need an hour or two in order to finish this one up. 


Another Grunge mini, this time for a swap.  This was the definite winner in the arrangement survey.  I've got the four squares sewn together, and am in the midst of removing the paper.  Probably my least favorite part of paper piecing! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…