Skip to main content

New Year WIP

I took almost two weeks off for Christmas.  I honestly can't remember the last time I was off that long, and it was blissful.  Crazy busy, but blissful!

The biggest task accomplished was the migration of my sewing room.  It's been in a basement bedroom since we built the house.  Marc has always wanted that space for the guest bedroom.  So when we built a new shop this fall, we put in a 12x30 foot loft room in one end.  That's where my long-arm will eventually go, but for now most of my quilting stuff moved there.  My garment sewing/cross-stitch/craft stuff moved to the old (much smaller) guest room, and the guest room moved into the downstairs room.  Which, by the way, looks at least three feet wider than it did when all my sewing supplies were in there.  I'm honestly not sure how it all fit.

I did throw away about five garbage bags full of stuff.  Projects that I don't have any interest in completing, mystery synthetic fabric that will never find a use, that sort of thing.  I also boxed up four or five boxes of stuff to send to IG friends.  It felt good to purge!

I did a much more careful job of sorting and organizing my fabric when I put it away in the new quilting room.  I finally sorted my yardage by color, rather than collection.  Apparently I like blue a lot, and orange not so much!

I did get some sewing in, thankfully.  I finished my black and white quilt swap mini, and am delighted with the results.  I finished a knit top that's been cut out for ages last night, and started in on my next Moda Bakeshop project.  I started and finished a baby quilt for my cousin's baby.  I finished a long-standing WIP that will go to my grandmother's new assisted living facility room. 

I broke out a layer cake and jelly roll to get another leader/ender project going, and it should be a quick one.  I'm going to take part in the APQ UFO challenge, to see if I can get a few of these long-term UFO's knocked off.  I'm only including items that have lingered in my UFO/Planning category for far too long, so hopefully that will provide some impetus to get those moving. 

Recent Completions:

Kaylee's baby blanket
Secret Garden
Black and White swap mini  

WIPS

Aviatrix
Farmer's Wife
Moda Building Blocks
PB&J Four Square
MSQC stars (Leader/Ender)
Secret Project
Pink Swap
Charley Harper Swap

Needs Binding


Landscape


Top Completed, Waiting for Quilting

Breezeway (basted)
KerBloom
Stars (basted)
Every Which Way

Planning 


Gravity
Sparklers
Abacus
Triple Barn Star

UFO's

Craftsy QAYG
Vintage Modern Scrappy
Fabulous Flowers
Blossoms



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…