Finished!


So there actually have been finishes recently, but I've been terrible about getting pictures.  The pictures have been largely dumped in favor of getting the quilts to where they belong.  The one above went to my Grandma, for her new assisted living facility room.  She was NOT happy about being moved out of her beloved house, but she simply can't live on her own (she's 95), so this was my attempt to help make her new digs a little more homey.  She loved the final quilt, so at least I made her smile for a bit.  It's a pattern called Secret Garden, and is made of a layer cake of Hoffman batiks.  I've had the top in progress forever.  I did the quilting for it on my Elna, and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.  FMQ is such a learning process, and the only way to learn is to do, but you do end up with a lot of quilts that I wish looked a bit more professional!  

The sad looking little guy is another reason not as much has been getting done.  He's been sick off and on for far too long.  So lots of snuggles have been happening. 



This one went to my cousin and her new baby girl.  When I found out she was pregnant, I knew I wanted to make the baby something special.  In my quest to use up my existing stash, I went digging, and I'd completely forgotten about this panel and the coordinating fabric.  The baby's bedroom was in purple, and my cousin loves fairies, so this was about as perfect a match as I could find!  A simple pattern, with two curved corners (that was new, and required some creating piecing of binding to get enough bias!) and I quilted it myself.  A simple stipple, which I'm getting more and more comfortable with.  This got mailed off and is now in its new home as well. 


I'd never really been a mini-quilt person, largely because of a lack of space to put them.  But my new quilting room has plenty of wall space, and it's way too easy to find fun swaps on IG!  This is the black-and-white 2 swap.  This was a bundle of Frond Design Studios fabric, with a little Kona red mixed in.  The pattern is from the Missouri Star Block magazine, or at least a riff on the pattern.  The original was 42 inches square, so I shrunk and modified.  I meant to make two and keep one, and hopefully eventually I will get the one for me made!  I went with walking foot quilting, and I love how it turned out.  It's a variegated thread from Superior Threads, and I've used it on multiple projects. 

I also had a bit of fun with my new sewing machine, and experimented with embroidering the label info onto the binding.  I love how it turned out!  This one will get mailed off this week. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

Kate Spain Charm Swap Finish!

Another year of Quarantine