Skip to main content

Finished!


So there actually have been finishes recently, but I've been terrible about getting pictures.  The pictures have been largely dumped in favor of getting the quilts to where they belong.  The one above went to my Grandma, for her new assisted living facility room.  She was NOT happy about being moved out of her beloved house, but she simply can't live on her own (she's 95), so this was my attempt to help make her new digs a little more homey.  She loved the final quilt, so at least I made her smile for a bit.  It's a pattern called Secret Garden, and is made of a layer cake of Hoffman batiks.  I've had the top in progress forever.  I did the quilting for it on my Elna, and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.  FMQ is such a learning process, and the only way to learn is to do, but you do end up with a lot of quilts that I wish looked a bit more professional!  

The sad looking little guy is another reason not as much has been getting done.  He's been sick off and on for far too long.  So lots of snuggles have been happening. 



This one went to my cousin and her new baby girl.  When I found out she was pregnant, I knew I wanted to make the baby something special.  In my quest to use up my existing stash, I went digging, and I'd completely forgotten about this panel and the coordinating fabric.  The baby's bedroom was in purple, and my cousin loves fairies, so this was about as perfect a match as I could find!  A simple pattern, with two curved corners (that was new, and required some creating piecing of binding to get enough bias!) and I quilted it myself.  A simple stipple, which I'm getting more and more comfortable with.  This got mailed off and is now in its new home as well. 


I'd never really been a mini-quilt person, largely because of a lack of space to put them.  But my new quilting room has plenty of wall space, and it's way too easy to find fun swaps on IG!  This is the black-and-white 2 swap.  This was a bundle of Frond Design Studios fabric, with a little Kona red mixed in.  The pattern is from the Missouri Star Block magazine, or at least a riff on the pattern.  The original was 42 inches square, so I shrunk and modified.  I meant to make two and keep one, and hopefully eventually I will get the one for me made!  I went with walking foot quilting, and I love how it turned out.  It's a variegated thread from Superior Threads, and I've used it on multiple projects. 

I also had a bit of fun with my new sewing machine, and experimented with embroidering the label info onto the binding.  I love how it turned out!  This one will get mailed off this week. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…