Skip to main content

Mosaic - DONE!

Many eons ago I finished my Mosaic quilt top.  It was from the Modern Minimal book, which is one that's been on my shelf for a while.  It has several tops that I would love to make; this was the first I'd attempted, and getting it out again has made me want to tackle a couple more.  In fact, my sister-in-law and brother are getting ready to move into their new house, and she's requested something in neutrals, and I think some of these designs would be perfect (off to adjust my to do list...)


To get back to the point of this post, I put together the Mosaic top, and it has sat in my stash ever since.  I've been trying to work through some of my WIP's, and also give a few more quilts to charity, and so decided that this one would be donated.  Enter the fabulous Jo of Jo's Country Junction.   She's got an entire project dedicated to finishing quilt tops and donating them to a wide variety of worthy causes.  As a fellow Iowa farm girl, I just love what she's doing, and so I sent this off to her.  (These are all pictures from her website, so thanks for finishing this up, Jo!)


She found some perfected donated fabric for backing - the colors work great!


She did a straight line quilting across the middle section, and square in a square on the white, which works just perfectly.   The middle section is all improv piecing, and this was the first of that I'd done. 


Now it's off to North Dakota, for one of Jo's volunteer binders to put a binding on.  And from there off to someone who needs it.  The on-line quilting community is truly amazing!  

Comments

  1. Nice finish, and so good of you to donate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…