Skip to main content

The Lorax

For the past couple of years, my sister and I (we live next door to each other) have had a wonderful babysitter/nanny come to take care of our kids.  This year the nanny had a baby of her own, and I must say it's quite adorable how much our kids dote on the new baby!  Of course, I had to make a baby quilt for the new arrival.  In my continuing effort to not buy new fabric, I searched through my stash, and found a bundle of The Lorax.  How perfect!  I came up with the pattern on my own, and used up pretty much every inch of it.  I ended up ordering some additional fabric for backing and binding, but this was a definite stash buster.  And the nanny loves it, so a definite win.

I finally finished it just before I had to give it to her, and the wind was blowing gales that day, so forgive the settings.  It was the one place sheltered enough from the wind! 


The panels with the book pages helped it go together pretty quickly.  I also did the machine quilting.


I did triangles in the improv blocks and loops in the panel blocks, and one of my favorite patterns in all the sashing and borders.


The stripe on the binding makes a fun little accent! 


I used the remainder of the fat quarters for the back, and overall am quite pleased with how it turned out.  I hope baby Kieran will get lots of use out of it.

Comments

  1. What a cute quilt, I am a big fan of the Lorax and I am sure Baby Kieran will be too with this wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - how nice to be able to make such a great gift for your former nanny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha how fun is this quilt! My kids and I enjoy watching this movie. I have never seen this fabric before! It is very cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…