Skip to main content

Park Bench

Another finish that finally got photographed!  The dreary days of February and March really don't lend themselves well to photos.  It was a very mild winter here, so lots and lots of mud.  And I'm not a big fan of taking nice quilts into muddy areas!  There was also a distinct lack of sunshine for extended periods.  But regardless, the quilts are finished!

I did wait a little too late into the day for the good sunshine, but I kind of like the shadows.  Obviously it has been folded a little too long.  My quilting mentor has told me several times that quilts should never be folded; it's much better to wad them up or roll them.  My husband, however, is an unrepentant folder.  This quilt stays in the living room, and if he is in the living room, it gets folded.  I'll have to rotate it through the basement to make sure the creases don't become permanent.  (Basement quilts are wadded, balled up, cuddled, used for forts and doll picnics, and generally abusingly loved.) 

The pattern is Park Bench, a block-of-the-month from the Fat Quarter shop.  It's a Jaybird Quilts pattern, using the Hex-n-more and sidekick rulers.  The blocks look complex, but they actually went together quickly and easily.  I love the colors and fabrics.  Botanical, I think the line was.  Sadly, I can't quite remember.  

This is another one that will likely be staying with me.  Despite his insistence upon folding, my dear hubby has at least gone along (so far) with the general decorate-with-quilts theme.  :) 


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…