Skip to main content

Back at the Bakeshop!

It's always such fun to be at the Bakeshop.  I love being able to come up with a design, get fabric to make it happen, and see how others react.  There are almost always challenges I didn't see coming, and adjustments that have to be made as I develop the tutorial.


In this one, for example, I didn't take into account that the solid background would show through the white borders and sashing, which prompted the addition of the second layer of batting.  I actually really like the final result, though, so it was a fortuitous mistake.


 I also cut the batting pieces a bit too small, necessitating some FMQ around the edge of each block.  I'm still working on developing my repertoire and skill level, so I did a variety of stitches; gives it a little bit of fun, though I still would have preferred to keep those areas completely blank.

This was the first quilt I made using my new Elna as well, so I'm still learning its quirks.  The tension in all of the middle areas of the quilts is fantastic, but there were issues I didn't notice around the edges until it was finished.  I'll need to do some repairing of some of them, and hopefully I can figure out what I was doing differently to avoid the issue in the future.  


I'm also trying to make my backings more interesting, and fortunately I had enough leftover pieces from the front to add a little color to the back. 


And then there are the silly mistakes we make!  As I mentioned this was the first quilt I finished entirely using my new Elna.  It has an integrated walking foot that I simply LOVE, but I neglected to think about the fact that it's wider than the one I'm used to using, so my normal combination of technique and binding strip width left me short.  Luckily the fabric made it pretty easy to fudge, so it wasn't a disaster that required ripping off the whole thing. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

Comments

  1. Why do you fold over the background fabric and make it double sided? I'd like to try to size this pattern down into a baby blanket. In that case, would you say your general rules about sizing could be downsized?

    The pattern and colors are so fun!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

Mosaic - DONE!

Many eons ago I finished my Mosaic quilt top.  It was from the Modern Minimal book, which is one that's been on my shelf for a while.  It has several tops that I would love to make; this was the first I'd attempted, and getting it out again has made me want to tackle a couple more.  In fact, my sister-in-law and brother are getting ready to move into their new house, and she's requested something in neutrals, and I think some of these designs would be perfect (off to adjust my to do list...)


To get back to the point of this post, I put together the Mosaic top, and it has sat in my stash ever since.  I've been trying to work through some of my WIP's, and also give a few more quilts to charity, and so decided that this one would be donated.  Enter the fabulous Jo of Jo's Country Junction.   She's got an entire project dedicated to finishing quilt tops and donating them to a wide variety of worthy causes.  As a fellow Iowa farm girl, I just love what she's …