Skip to main content

Back at the Bakeshop!

It's always such fun to be at the Bakeshop.  I love being able to come up with a design, get fabric to make it happen, and see how others react.  There are almost always challenges I didn't see coming, and adjustments that have to be made as I develop the tutorial.


In this one, for example, I didn't take into account that the solid background would show through the white borders and sashing, which prompted the addition of the second layer of batting.  I actually really like the final result, though, so it was a fortuitous mistake.


 I also cut the batting pieces a bit too small, necessitating some FMQ around the edge of each block.  I'm still working on developing my repertoire and skill level, so I did a variety of stitches; gives it a little bit of fun, though I still would have preferred to keep those areas completely blank.

This was the first quilt I made using my new Elna as well, so I'm still learning its quirks.  The tension in all of the middle areas of the quilts is fantastic, but there were issues I didn't notice around the edges until it was finished.  I'll need to do some repairing of some of them, and hopefully I can figure out what I was doing differently to avoid the issue in the future.  


I'm also trying to make my backings more interesting, and fortunately I had enough leftover pieces from the front to add a little color to the back. 


And then there are the silly mistakes we make!  As I mentioned this was the first quilt I finished entirely using my new Elna.  It has an integrated walking foot that I simply LOVE, but I neglected to think about the fact that it's wider than the one I'm used to using, so my normal combination of technique and binding strip width left me short.  Luckily the fabric made it pretty easy to fudge, so it wasn't a disaster that required ripping off the whole thing. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

Comments

  1. Why do you fold over the background fabric and make it double sided? I'd like to try to size this pattern down into a baby blanket. In that case, would you say your general rules about sizing could be downsized?

    The pattern and colors are so fun!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…