Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday

Got some time in the sewing room this week!  Having hubby home has been fantastic, although it's definitely an adjustment to get used to living with another adult in the house again.  But having the kitchen immaculate when I'm done putting the kids to bed?  That rocks.  Having someone make coffee for me before I leave house?  Wonderful.  Having the ability to go to a meeting in the evening without having to pay a babysitter?  All over that!  And he's been pretty good at encouraging me to actually do the sewing that I need to do.  For example, I've mentioned that I have four quilts that need binding (five as of yesterday...) so he sends me downstairs with instructions to bind.  Definitely a keeper, is my hubby.  So last night I got binding sewn on one side of two quilts, as I need some light grey thread to sew it to the other side on both of them.

I also finished the quilting on my secret project.  That was an adventure, as I'm still a newbie to FMQ, and this is a queen sized quilt.  I'm pretty pleased overall with how it turned out.

I absolutely must get going on The Lorax this weekend, as the baby it's destined for arrived five weeks early last weekend.  I should be able to piece it in a weekend, I have a pretty simple design planned.  

Recent Completions!!

All 8 of my Christmas runners!
WIPS

Blossoms (ender and leader set-up)
Aviatrix (I've at least made the templates, so I'm counting that as a start!)
Stars
KerBloom
Farmer's Wife 
The Lorax
Kelley's Quilt 

Needs Binding
 
Swoon - half done
Stardust - half done
Vertical Drop
Park Bench
Secret Project

At the quilter:


   
Top Completed, waiting for quilting:

Mosaic
Breezeway
Landscape
Secret Garden

Planning:

Snowbird BOM
Gravity
Abacus
Hidden Stars (baby quilt)
Sticks and Stones (fall dinner 2016)
Moda Building Blocks??
Triple Barn Star (w/ Morris layer cake)

UFO's:

Craftsy QAYG quilt (three of twelve completed)
Vintage Modern Scrappy
Fabulous Flowers - stalled until I figure out how to fix it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…