Skip to main content

Northern Lights

This is one that my sister commissioned, as a baby quilt for a friend.  The baby's name is Voss, which is definitely unusual, but let me play with a bit of large scale alphabet appliqué.


The pattern is Northern Lights, by Jaybird quilts.  It uses the Hex-n-more ruler, and with that tool it goes together very quickly.  


It's all Kona solids.  I usually don't work with just solids, but this was a fun project to do, and it does make me want to branch out to more solids.  The "V" I made freehand, and I think it turned out pretty well.  I used good old wonder under to iron it in place, then used a zigzag to secure it.

The quilter alternated fill patterns in the colors, and I love the result.  It gives it a bit more definition and variety.


Obviously my quilt holder likes it!  It's hopefully in the hands of its new owner now, and I can happily check off another finished project.

Comments

  1. Ooh, that is super cool! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! What a lucky baby! And as the personal owner of an unusual name, I think Voss is a terrific moniker. Careful about those solids--they will draw you right in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Your color choices are inspired. I enjoy working with solids too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really got a kick out of that last photo. She looks so enthusiastic. I'm not into solids much, but this one turned out great! Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone,

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely quilt. Those hex n more rulers are great. Makes piecing so much more accurate. visiting from FIUF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colors are perfect. I have not tried the jaybirds rulers or patterns but the quilts are beautiful and every says they are easy to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely quilt and so large so it'll grow with baby for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to give this design a try. Your version is lovely -- well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

Mosaic - DONE!

Many eons ago I finished my Mosaic quilt top.  It was from the Modern Minimal book, which is one that's been on my shelf for a while.  It has several tops that I would love to make; this was the first I'd attempted, and getting it out again has made me want to tackle a couple more.  In fact, my sister-in-law and brother are getting ready to move into their new house, and she's requested something in neutrals, and I think some of these designs would be perfect (off to adjust my to do list...)


To get back to the point of this post, I put together the Mosaic top, and it has sat in my stash ever since.  I've been trying to work through some of my WIP's, and also give a few more quilts to charity, and so decided that this one would be donated.  Enter the fabulous Jo of Jo's Country Junction.   She's got an entire project dedicated to finishing quilt tops and donating them to a wide variety of worthy causes.  As a fellow Iowa farm girl, I just love what she's …