Skip to main content

I really have been working

I swear, I have been accomplishing things!  Although it doesn't feel like it sometimes... 

This is my latest secret project sneak peek...  At the quilter now, and I'm anxious to get the final product back!

This is a cross stitch project at least six years in the making.  Still technically not done, since I need to actually turn it into a stocking...

My newest cross stitch WIP, and I just love this one.  The fact that it uses only one color of floss is a real bonus, as it's very easy to pick it up and work on it for five minutes.  I never have to worry about finding the right color!

And there is outside work in progress.  Good black dirt from Dad - it definitely pays to have a farmer for a father.  Where else am I going to get that much ameliorated soil??

And I cleaned my carpets.  Yuck!  But at least they're clean now...

This is another REALLY old WIP.  And I definitely do have to worry about getting the right color of floss with this one.  I finished two Mirabilia patterns before I had children.  I think that, more than anything else, speaks to the difference in the amount of free time one has pre- and post-children.  

And my round robin cross stitch!  This one has been sent off, and I'm busy working on the next one now. 

And of course, I had to take time for another one of those periodic discussions with the cat about who is really in charge of the sewing room.  Needless to say, she wasn't impressed with my arguments. 


Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…