Skip to main content

My First Moda Bakeshop Post!

Wow, it's finally here - my first Moda Bakeshop pattern!


I'm so excited - it was such fun to do!

Thanks for stopping by.  As I said, I'm not a professional blogger, but I love to share bits here and there.  I have several more finishes to get posted soon, and have a couple more in the works.  Please stop back again!  

This was really fun project to do - I do love batiks, and these are just wonderful.  The color mix of warms and cools really lent itself well to the final project - in fact I modified my original idea when I saw the great contrast.


Clara (my quilter) did a wonderful stipple in purple on the cool areas, then stitched in the ditch on the warm strip sets, and it really made the stripes just pop out.  


I finally managed to get outside for some pictures close to sunset, and the colors were so vibrant against the winter day, even with the sunshine!


The lack of leaves also let me play with some new photo locations - this is an OLD cherry tree that was growing entwined with some other tree - we had the interloper cut out in hopes of saving the pie tree.


This one is staying with me, I think - just love it!

Comments

  1. It's beautiful! That's a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colors are right up my alley. I am at 15septemberarts.blogspot.com.
    Found you on FIUF!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your quilt has a little feel of woodlands and a burst of autumn. Lovely colourings and adventurous placement of stripes. what a great way to start the new year..productive you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I can understand how thrilling it must feel to have your pattern in the Bakeshop. It looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the juxtaposition of the warm stripes next to the cool ones. The quilter did a great job setting apart the two different fabrics! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…