Skip to main content

Toes in the Sand

A finish to report!  This is Toes in the Sand, a FQS Block of the Month, using the Jaybird Quilts Hex-n-More ruler.  It was definitely a fun project, and it involved lots and lots of IRONING with STARCH.  Just look at all those bias edges... 


It's the PB&J fabric line - this is the one I chose as my color inspiration for my basement family room, so of course I have to have at least a couple of quilts from it to toss over various pieces of [old and tattered] furniture.  This definitely adds some much needed color to my 15 year old brown couch.  


My dear friend Tammy sent me these labels many years ago, after I dared to make a baby quilt for her little boy and give it to her with no label.  

The back is various pieces of yardage from the line.  Makes it a fun one!


The sun was bright on picture day!  And the grass needed to be mowed. 

This one I'm definitely keeping for me.  It's already made lots of forts, been spilled on, fought over, and cuddled under while watching movies on a rainy Saturday.  Definitely a keeper. 

Comments

  1. Your version of Toes in the Sand is beautiful! So well done! I have the ruler. . . just haven't opened it yet ;) sooon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like that quilt. Well done! I love hearing about quilts that are actually getting used and not just sitting an a shelf somewhere after they're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! And what could be better than a quilt fort?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Toes in the Sand. colors are very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the patterning in the triangles, they look quite spectacular combined in the colour way you have chosen, a lovely quilt you should be proud of

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous!! and yes, i starch the dickens out of my triangles, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stop looking at it, there is so much to discover in this quilt, congrats on a beutiful finish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…