Skip to main content


I had hoped that with the kids starting school, I'd be able to get more sewing in, but alas, that hasn't happened so far.  I sometimes feel like I haven't stopped moving since the bus pulled up.  Some of it I'm not complaining about - a visit home from Marc, and trip to the Ozarks with my sister, for example.  But I keep saying I hope we get into a routine, and it just seems hard! 

This is Stardust.  I started in a quilt-along, and suffice to say the rest of the group is finished and I'm still here.  I joined in for a couple of reasons, even though I figured I'd end up way behind.  It's a paper pieced pattern (Tula Pink!) and I love paper piecing, and haven't done any in ages.  It's fat quarter friendly, and I have tons of batik fat quarters that I have been saying need to be used up.  But one of the primary reasons is that I figured it would push me out of my comfort zone, and boy, was I right.

This pattern is ALL ABOUT the color placement.  And for those that know me, they know that this is not my strong suit.  I'm still learning about how to play with the colors, the values, and am not very comfortable with the artistic, as opposed to the mechanic, side of quilting.  So I did this to make myself work, and it's working.  I play with the fabrics, move things in and out, lay out different options for each piece.  I went from working in rows (with the quilt-along) to working from the center out, to help me figure out where things go. 

I'm spending a lot of time on my knees (paper backed pieces don't stick to the design wall very well!) folding up scraps of fabric.  I think I'm going to like how it eventually turns out, but progress has been very slow. 

In the mean time I'm also working on finishing up some garment sewing.  I've been purging my wardrobe of things I don't like, so I could use a few new pieces, and I need to use up my stash!


Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…