Skip to main content

Ruby, Pearl and Opal, or Fur Elise

This one was a LONG time in the works, and I'm so glad it's finally finished!  It's Ruby, Pearl and Opal, but I'm calling it my version of Fur Elise. 


The pattern is from the Moda Bakeshop, an older one, but I always liked it.  This was my first attempt at participating in a quilting bee, and let's just say it did NOT go well.  I sent out 12 squares, and only nine came back.  To this day I have no idea where the last three went, so even though the original pattern was 4x5 blocks, mine is only 4x4.  There was some questionable sewing on the blocks that came back, too.  Even though I requested white or light neutral thread, one came back with a dark forest green...  I had to take one apart and put it back together to get it to be the proper size, too.  I can see why bees are fun, but hopefully I can get in one with some more experienced quilters next time.  Any advice there is much appreciated!  


 The quilting is a nice reasonable tight stipple with some loops mixed in.  Simple but effective!  This is a local long-armer that I enjoy working with.  She isn't comfortable doing much custom work, but she enjoys doing all-over designs and her prices are incredibly reasonable. 

Per the instructions on the site, I included some of leftover cut pieces from the layer cake (not sure which fabric line this is, although I know it's Me and My Sister) in the back, as well as the one extra block that I couldn't fit into the front. 


As to why it's Fur Elise?  Well, it's for my darling new niece, Elise Rose.  A bright quilt for a happy little baby! 

Comments

  1. Sorry you had such bad experience with your bee! But the work was worth it in the end for such a nice quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never participated in a bee, but I think that's one of the reasons I haven't joined in yet... I'm a bit ocd with my quilting, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable with the unknown aspect. Making a quilt takes so much time and money, I really want to be HAPPY with the finished product, you know? One day I hope I'm brave enough to join a bee, since I'm sure there is a really fun aspect, but for now, I'm safe in my own sewing cave :) Lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Die Decke ist wunderschön geworden. Ich möchte auch mal eine ähnliche nähen.
    LG Fädchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt !

    mvh AnneKa from Norway

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…