Skip to main content

Changes in plans

I was supposed to be in the Lake of the Ozarks today, having a blast with my mom and sisters.  Alas, it was not meant to be.  One of my parent's neighbors passed away over the weekend.  Both he and my mom have lived there their entire lives, so Mom has known him literally since birth, and their families have been friends for several generations.  This couple and my parents are very close, and I've known him since I was born.  It is a huge loss for our neighborhood and especially for our church.  It turns out the funeral isn't going to be until Saturday (as many of the people who will attend are also very involved in organizing the fair this week), but I know Mom would not have felt comfortable leaving while the church is getting ready for a major funeral.

In other news, I've asked the carpenter who helped finish up the basement last time to come and work on the shelves.  I want them to look a little better (okay, a lot better) than they do now by the time Marc comes home.  He's coming in the evenings this week, so hopefully that will help quite a bit.  I need to get some more painting and priming done this week, so probably not much time to sew!  I'd like to get the basket quilt finished, and started on scrappy chevron.  But I do, at least, have 11 of the 12 (or more accurately 22 of 24) BOM blocks done.  I'm still debating what to do with the finishing kit, as I'm not a huge fan of the design, nor inclined to make 50 flying geese.  And they picked my least favorite fabric for the outer border.  Go figure!  So I'm leaning towards making it without the flying geese, and using that one for the church dinner.  I've got a setting I think will work for my version.  We'll see how my plan turns out!  This making stuff up on my own is a new thing, and a bit scary...


Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…