Skip to main content

New Machine!

I learned to sew on the same sewing machine I still use today - an Elna air electronic SU.  This is a workhorse little machine.  The thing weighs a ton, does a great straight stitch, and is as reliable as can be.  You will have to pry this machine out of my cold, dead hands.  It is, however, having one issue, which I'm told may be its death knell.  Yes, I nearly cried when I found that out.  The presser foot is air controlled, and apparently after they reach a certain age there is an internal gasket that can no longer be replaced. 

So I've been saving up for a new machine.  My Elna still works, and is great for apparel, so I wanted to get something new for the quilting.  My Elna has a small throat space, and isn't really designed for quilting, especially FMQ.  I also didn't want to spend a fortune (very easy to do on a high-end sewing machine, I'm discovering!) so I finally settled on this:





It's a Brother 1500.  All mechanical, straight-stitch only.  But has very good reviews, and was reasonably priced, so I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes.  According to the reviews, it does FMQ quite well, and straight line quilting as well, so I'm anxious to try and do a little more quilting of my own, rather than sending them all to the long-armer.  That gets expensive! 

So I'm excited for it to arrive, and get it set up in my sewing room.  Some reviews have said that it may take a bit to get the tension dialed in, but I'm anxious to see what it can do!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…