Skip to main content

Random Happiness

It seemed for a while around here that Spring had actually sprung. 

The kids got to spend some time in the tractor with Grandpa, and feeding some very curious baby Holsteins.  It took a bit of patience, but their inherent curiosity won out, and they were eating the grass out of her hands.

The cousins were also out on the farm, and practicing the art of fence climbing.  When I first drove Colin down to meet up with Grandpa on the tractor, he said "But Grandpa is on the other side of the fence!! How am I supposed to get on the tractor?"  I told him if he couldn't figure that out, he wasn't going to get to ride.  He figured it out pretty quickly.  :)

We let them explore for a bit around the farm, too.  I love their sense of wonder and adventure!

My hubby sent me some BEAUTIFUL flowers for Mother's Day, and a card that makes me get weepy every time I read it.  Every time!

My son has not quite yet mastered the art of the selfie.  I found about two dozen of these on my phone, as well as random photos of the inside of the dishwasher.

He has, however, mastered the art of wrapping Grandpa around his cute little finger.

The quilt tops are getting knocked out.  This was a quick one, the Layer Cake Lemonade pattern (mostly, I added a bit to make it larger) from Moda, and was sent off to Jo at Jo's Country Junction to be used for a charity top.

This one met the same fate - this one was a pattern I found in a magazine, and seemed like a good way to use up some of the stash.  I need to do more stashbusting!  (Like scraps?? See my giveaway!)

Lots of things going on to make me smile around here.  The end of the school year is approaching, spring is hopefully here, quilt tops and clothes are being produced, children are happy, and life is, as always, good.  :)


  1. Love both quilts, and I love the little selfies!!!!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.

So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.

Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.

I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.

I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 

 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 

I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)

Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…