Skip to main content

Candy Heart Complete!

Like scraps?  Want some more??  See here!

Candy Heart II is finished! 

It's a Jelly Roll pattern from Pam Lintott's book; I'm pretty sure it's from Jelly Roll Quilts.  It's a quick one, and the second one I've made from this pattern.  The hardest part of this quilt is finding a jelly roll with exactly the right distribution of colors.    

 I've finished my quilt-picture hanger, too.  We've got two of these old out-buildings, and it seemed like a good spot to put up something to get some nice pictures taken, outdoors with decent light.  I think I will probably see about taking some of those old remaining shingles down...


The back is pieced with leftover pink batiks and marbles.  I've tended to use 108 inch wide fabric for backing, since it's easy, but piecing the backing is a good way to eat up that stash (and therefore justify buying more fabric!!).

This one is going to go to Isadora's teacher as thanks for all her work with my somewhat challenging daughter this year.  Glad it's done in time!

Comments

  1. I never would have thought of making a heart of jelly rolls, although I've played a lot with different angles. This is really clever, and I love the colors! Love your hanging studeio, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aargh. Studio. Don't know where that extra letter came from, and I hit publish too quick...

      Delete
  2. I love your quilt!! It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…