Skip to main content

Felt so good!

I spent a LOT of time in my craft room this weekend, checked a lot of things off of my to-do list, finished several projects, and it felt so good! 

I finished Comma Squares, and even got it boxed up and ready to send to Kelley.  She's going to use it in a fund raiser for her kids' preschool.  Her hubby is 100% Latvian, and all my nieces go to this Latvian preschool, so I'm happy to help out a bit.  I quilted it myself, just straight line quilting, but it was kind of fun. 


I did a cross pattern in the center part, and echoed the lines on the border section.  The thread color was a bit of a question for me.  I ended up using this variegated orange/yellow thread on the back and in the colored sections, and black on black.  I was a little concerned about how it would look with bits of thread showing on the wrong side, but as long as you're not two inches away, I think it looks pretty nice.  And it was probably the only opportunity I'll have to use that thread. :) 

I finished three of the Avalon BOM blocks (two of each!) and got a fourth cut out.  I cut out and finished a new top for me, and got some fabric pulled for more clothes for me and Isadora.  (Trying to use up that stash!!)  I put away some of my winter fabric pulls; going to try and concentrate on the summer stuff for now.  And if I get some more weeks like last week, I should be able to make some good progress. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…