Skip to main content

A Finish - Do the Happy Dance!

Yes, there is a quilt in the background of my quilt photo!


After putting the little one to bed last night, I went down to my craft room and decided it was time to get an actual FINISH.  As in a quilt, completely done, put that binding on, sew that label on and DONE!  And I did; what a happy feeling.  And this is undoubtedly my oldest UFO.  According to my database, this one was started in 2011.  One of the reasons for the delay was that it was just plain lost for a while.  I started it while I was staying with Mom and Dad.  I'd put it up for a bit while finding more fabric for it, and the darned thing vanished.  I found it last summer, in their machine storage shed.  Made no sense whatsoever, but there it was!  The shed had sustained some damage during a major storm, and all of us kids had come down to help clean up.  We were throwing all sorts of stuff out, and I came across a tote with a completely random assortment of things in it, including the bag with the quilt blocks.  So I finally finished it up!

I'd been planning on sending it off to a long-armer who does charity quilts, since the colors really aren't my favorite, but my sister happened to see it and was just gushing over how much she loved the colors, so now it's headed to her house.  I love happy endings! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…