Skip to main content

Checking things off!

It's amazing how much simple pleasure I get from moving things to the "Top Completed" category in my quilt database, or checking items off of my Things list (Things is a marvelous productivity app, if you're looking for one!)  Last night I got another quilt into the top completed category:


This is Toes in the Sand, and since it was a BOM from FQS, it's been in the works for over a year.  So it's pretty exciting to move it into the top completed category!  Of course, my long-arm quilter is moving to Texas, so I have no idea when I'll get it into the totally finished category.  I'm please with how this one came out.  There are a lot of bias edges with all those triangles, but with lots of starch and ironing, I think it came out pretty well!  So it's the first of my PB&J quilts; since that line was the color inspiration for my basement, there will be more. :)

In other news, I have started doing leaders and enders; I had an entire pile of little triangles from another  FQS BOM, in Vintage Modern, and I was sick of getting thread everywhere and threads getting caught in the bobbin case, so I figured why not?  Those little buggers add up fast!  I spent a good while ironing them out last night.  No real idea what I'm going to do with them next, except probably sew them together again.  I have a bunch of scraps from that quilt (FQS is quite generous with the fabric) so I'm probably going to attempt to make a scrap quilt of some sort.  


But in the mean time, aren't they pretty??


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…