Skip to main content

Soon to be BACKWARDS progress...

Yesterday was a snow day, and I'd hoped to move three quilts from the "In Progress" category to the "Top Completed" category.  By the end of the day I'd gotten two there, plus I helped my daughter piece a scrap quilt, so I'm calling it a good day.  Except for the fact that one of my completions is going to need to be torn apart.

I have a bunch of charm packs that I picked up when I was trying to pick out a fabric line as inspiration for my family room finish.  One was Comma, and I decided to use it to make the Marmalade Squares (Two) quilt from the Moda Bakeshop.  But, as I have discovered, there are several problems with the pattern.  The first is that one charm pack isn't enough, so I had to order more fabric.  The second is that the pattern is just plain wrong.  When you follow it, the patchwork section ends up in the wrong spot.  I was thinking while doing it that it seemed wrong, but instead of following my instincts I followed the pattern, and got this:

So obviously, I'm going to have to tear out that section and do it correctly.  I don't always feel the need to slavishly follow and pattern, but it just looks wrong the way it is.

I did get the sashing put onto Ruby, Pearl and Opal.  I just accepted that those other quilt blocks are not coming back, and make it square.  It's going to go to Kelley's new baby, so it actually kind of works the size it ended up. 

Before the sashing
I didn't get the borders added to impromptu, but that's next on the agenda.  After I tear up Comma and redo it... 


Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…