Skip to main content

2014 Goals

I prefer goals to resolutions - more concrete, more definitive, more achievable.  So here's my attempt at setting some sewing and quilting SMART goals.

1.  Finish 24 Farmer's wife blocks.  That's 2/month, and doable.
2.  Finish the blocks for the FQS Mystery BOM.  I haven't done a single one so far, so I have some definite catch-up to do.  I'm giving myself until August 31st.
3.  Finish the blocks for Toes in the Sand.  These are quick to put together, I just need to make the time to do it.  I'm giving myself until July 31st. 
4.  IF we cannot find my First Communion dress (and I know it's in Mom's attic somewhere), make a First Communion dress for Isadora.  I'm hoping I don't have to do this one - I'd really love to have her wear mine.
5.  Complete a Sally Shirtdress by May 1st.
6.  Complete a Priscilla Tunic by June 1st.
7.  Finish Ruby, Pearl and Opal by March 31st.  I never got all of the blocks back from my quilting bee, so I'm going to just put together what I have and call it done.
8.  Finish Comma Squares by Jan 31st.  Easy finish, I have everything ready for it.
9.  Finish the QAYG quilt and Craftsy class by the end of the year.
10.  Finish a new quilt for the Fall Festival at St. Joseph's.  I don't know what it will be yet.
11.  Sell a quilt!

I think these are all I'm going to put in writing for now.  I'll work on other stuff through the year, I'm sure, but these reflect things I have in progress, and things I'd like to make progress on, so I think it's a good starting point.

And to check in on last year...

I want to finish Swoon, I think that is a given.  I also want to make a LOT more progress on my Farmer's Wife quilt.  I want to finish the BOM Vintage Modern Quilt. Since I have Summer Breeze in progress, finishing that is also on the list.  DONE!  Swoon is ready to go to the quilter.  Made some progress on FW.  Vintage Modern BOM is ready to go to the quilter, and Summer Breeze was finished and used for the Church Dinner. 

I'd like to try a QAYG quilt.  Not sure on what, though!  I need to look through the other projects I have in my head, and get a good priority on them.  I started the QAYG quilt, but that's as far as it got. 

I need (although I don't want!) to stop buying fabric!  Or at least limit it to fabric I need to finish a project, with an emphasis on using what I already have to start off with.  OK, totally failed on this one.

I want to make a duvet cover for my down comforter.  That might be a good one to use for the QAYG project... Didn't make any progress on this one, primarily because I decided I hate my down comforter (all the down has migrated to one corner, and refuses to be redistributed) and didn't want to go to the effort. 

Also on the list is another quilt for the Church Auction.
DONE!

We'll see if I can do better this year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.


As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…