Skip to main content

WIP Thursday

Yesterday involved an emergency trip to the fabric store over lunch to purchase a seam ripper.  I broke one, and the other vanished, and I sewed four quilt squares together backwards.  So off to JoAnn's I went.  I got the squares unpicked, and put together correctly, and am making more progress on simply woven.  I'm getting really excited to see it sewn together, it's going to be so cheery!

Of course, I had to start a new one while I was temporarily stymied on that one, so I cut and started "High Fashion", which should go together very quickly.  I also pulled out some stash fabric that coordinates; I'm going to try and make it larger than the original pattern.  I'm not a huge fan of quilts that aren't big enough to really cuddle under.  

I also finally got a finish!  Just a night shirt for Isadora, but it was really needed.  She likes it, it's warm and comfy, and hopefully she'll actually wear something to bed now that it's cold again.  I have matching fabric for me to make sleep pants, which of course she loves.  So I need to get those done ASAP as well. 

Recent Completions:

Owl Nightshirt
 
WIPs:
 
Farmer's Wife (LONG term project! - 20 blocks completed)
Ruby, Pearl and Opal (waiting for my bee blocks)
Craftsy QAYG quilt (two of twelve completed)
Blue and white shirt (maybe finish for Collette? Maybe turn into something for Izzy?)
Toes in the sand BOM quilt
Simply Woven
Black Dress
Lucky Pezzy
High Fashion
 
Needs Binding:
 
 
Top Completed, waiting for quilting:
 
Swoon
Fat Quarter Shop BOM
Heart of Mine 2
Pick and Mix (Collette says she loves the colors)

Planning:

Avalon BOM quilt
White Wrap Shirt
Comma Squares 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…