Skip to main content

Monday Recovery

The church dinner was yesterday, and I'm exhausted.  I am not sure why, as looking back it doesn't seem like I did that much, but I was completely tuckered out last night, and even let everyone sleep in this morning.  I only wish all mornings could be like this one!  But alas, I must continue to drag all of us out of bed in the dark. 

My quilt went for $350, which I was pleased with.  I had been hoping to get a better picture of it, but I was busy cleaning up in the kitchen, so I didn't have a chance, but that's okay!  It's off to a good home, and I'm already plotting about what to make for next year.  I'm considering this one from the Moda Bakeshop.  The traditional ones seem to go over better, and I can see a lot of people that would like that design.  It's a small-town farm community.

I did get the jester costume cut out for Isadora.  I used polyester felt from JoAnn's, which has several advantages.  First of all, it was only $2.99 per yard.  Secondly, it won't require hemming, and I can also get away without doing any lining.  And the stiffness of it is actually an advantage, as it will give it some body.  I am working on the dress underneath the jacket now.  I was going to go with white, but the muslin was just a bit too thin, and I couldn't see using my good quilting cotton white.  So I pulled out a chopped up sheet that's a nice cream color, and am using that.  I think it will turn out just fine.  We're definitely going for expediency, not quality, on this project!

I'm somewhat running out of steam on simply woven.  I love the way it's looking, but it's just a LOT of relatively uninteresting sewing.  I know I'm going to be delighted with the final project, but I kind of see me starting another more challenging one before I'm done.  Hey, what fun is life without a massive WIP list??


Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…