Skip to main content

An in-time finish!

I don't have a great picture of Summer Breeze, because I took it to the church for the Fall Festival auction as soon as it was done.  I'm hoping to get some better pictures when it goes up for auction.


I used a jelly roll and charm packs of Summer Breeze II for the jewel box pattern.  I'd originally been planning on doing a barn raising setting, but after seeing it on the design wall, I changed to this one, and I am quite happy with how it turned out.  


Rosie did an excellent job on the quilting, as always.  I like all-over designs, and this one suited the quilt quite well.  

Last year's quilt when for $350, and the year before that was $175.  With an auction, it's always all about getting at least two people to bid each other up.  :)  Hopefully this one will appeal - I think it's beautiful, but I am a bit biased!

I haven't been in my craft room for a good week.  I had a trip to Ohio State this week, to meet with my counterparts from other midwest/Big Ten universities, and although it was a great meeting, and I'm exceptionally glad I went, it's been long enough with no sewing that I'm starting to get twitchy!  So there haven't been any changes to my WIP list, but I'm working on it!  Simply Woven is coming along, although it appears the cat and/or the kids have made off with one block, so I'll have to spend some time tracking that down this weekend.

I'm also working on crocheting some scarves.  I want to get several done to give out as Christmas presents.  I made good progress on one on the plane this week, and I'm enjoying having some hand-work available.  Nothing too exciting, but hopefully the recipients will appreciate them.  

I'm trying, in general, to do more handmade gifts this year, and buy more things off of Etsy, instead of the big box stores.  If I'm not going to be able to make the gifts myself, maybe I can at least get them something homemade, and support artisans in the process.  


Comments

  1. Wow this is very pretty. I think it will do well at auction.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…