Skip to main content

Getting things done

It's been a gratifyingly productive couple of days, at least in my craft room!  The rest of the house, not so much. :)  Although my Dad's return to the farm has meant that there is progress being made on my bridge!

It's level!!  It's straight!! This is quite exciting, to say the least.  I'm so glad that Marc will get to see it before he heads off to California next week.  Dad and Sean rented a massive jackhammer like thing (don't you love my technical talk?) to ram the posts back down, and Dad's been hooking the uni-loader up with a really long rope to pull the posts back in straight.  Last night I REALLY wanted to just jump in and take a little swim.  But I figured someone should stay in the house and watch the kids. :)

I finished Summer Breeze - I love how it turned out, and will hopefully get some photos posted soon.

I completed the top for Heart of Mine II.  My initial thought was that this one would go to Jo for a charity top, but I'm undecided.  I love the colors and how it turned out, and I think I might hang on to it for a future baby gift - it's a perfect baby girl quilt.

I finished a new skirt for Isadora, and will hopefully make a small matching shrug.  I was going to use the fabric for something for me, but it was 54 inches wide, not 60, and the pattern I wanted to use wouldn't fit.  And I've been wanting to make Izzy some new clothes, so it seemed a good use of some cute fabric.  It's more 'grown-up' than a lot of her clothes, but I think that's a good thing. 

I cut out another skirt for me, and I love how it's looking so far.  But it appears that something bled on it when I pre-washed it, so I'm just going to finish and REALLY hope that it comes out.  If not, I like the fabric and the style enough I may play with dying the fabric.  We'll see if drastic measures become necessary!

I finished the top for the BOM quilt!!  VERY excited about that one, to say the least.  I don't know what I'm going to have done for the quilting on it.  I'd like something custom.  The woman I've been having do all the long-arming recently has only done all-over designs for me, and I don't know what her interest in doing more detailed work is.

I also finished 6 blocks for the Toes in the Sand BOM quilt.  Like I said, it's been a busy and productive couple of days!  


Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)

Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.

 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.

It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.

This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 

Feathers definitely require practice...

 Straight lines also require practice...

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  

Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Crazy Quilt Charity Project - FINISHED!

This is another quilt top sent along by the fabulous Jo at Jo's Country Junction.  As I mentioned in the previous post, she sent along several tops for a friend and I to quilt and bind.  This one is a wonderfully fun crazy quilt style top.  The colors are not ones that I normally work with, but when I see projects like this it makes me want to change my mind!  This one is made by Patricia, in Spokane.

It's good sized, at 60x72, so the perfect size for cuddling on the couch.

As a relatively new long-armer, I went with basic all-over loops for the center.  

With such a busy pattern, I thought an all-over design as best, as well.  I had a great variegated thread,with shades of gold, brown and tan, which was just perfect for the colors. 

I went with loops in the fabulous pieced border, leaving the black border blank. 

It's definitely comfortable!  My then six-year old was helping out with the photo shoot (again courtesy of my 12 year-old 4-H'er) and apparently it wore him…