Skip to main content

Finally, some progress

I finished the Pick and Mix top!  This was without a doubt my oldest UFO, for the simple reason that it had been missing for probably two years.  As in, REALLY missing.  I'd long ago resigned myself to the fact that the bag it was in had been thrown away in a fit of cleaning.  I found it a couple of weeks ago, in a tote in my mom's storage shed, with a bunch of other completely non-related stuff (old frying pan?  Old pair of shoes?  Shelf bracket?  None of these things belongs with the other!).

So out it came, and I finished putting on the borders last night.  I have pretty much decided this will be a charity quilt.  I will see if I can find a long-armer who does them for charity, and send it off.  I like the pattern, but the colors are completely different that what is in my house, or what I normally like.


I'm getting two of my other quilts back from the quilter today (hurray!) and decided to hand two more off to her, so I spent a good deal of last night piecing the backs for those.  I also finished the facing on my dress, and am still waffling on what to do about the trim.

But still, at least I have ticked a couple of things off the list!

Comments

  1. Lucky you found it, it's a cute little quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is really cool! Am glad you found it, it would have been a shame to have all that good work go to waste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…