Skip to main content

WIP Friday (yes, I'm behind)

I took yesterday off from work.  Wasn't feeling well, but it ended up being as much of a mental health day off as a sick day.  I took the kids to daycare, and had a WONDERFUL, quiet, blissful day at home.  Spent quite a bit of it in the craft room.  I didn't actually finish anything, unfortunately.  Unless you count the mending pile!  I've been avoiding that for months, which is silly, since it only took me an hour to get through the whole thing.  And now it's not staring at my daily!

I also started back in on what is probably my oldest UFO.  I haven't even had it on the list, because it was lost.  As in I couldn't find it at all, and figured that it had been accidentally thrown out in a cleaning fit at some point.  A couple of weeks ago I found it - in Mom's storage shed, inside a tote.  Absolutely NO idea how it got there!  It and a bag of random scraps were in there, with a bunch of completely unrelated items.  So yesterday I fished it out, and started back in on it.  I had apparently run out of the background fabric, but I happened to have some more of it in my stash (pretty standard moda solid).  So I cut those out, and got the entire center section pieced.  It's on point, which is actually the first time I've done one that way, surprisingly.  I have the strips for the borders pieced together, and should be able to get the top completely done soon.  I'm about 90% positive I'll send it out to a long-armer who does charity quilts.  I know Jo of Jo's Country Junction does that.  It's a neat quilt, but just not my colors.

I also have the center section of the BOM quilt done.  As precise as I tried to be with those, none of my blocks ended up the same size.  I had to add some to two of the rows to get them all the same size, but it's not terribly noticeable, and as always, I learned how I'd do it better next time.  I haven't done the first one in the next BOM yet, but I'm going to try and learn something from this one, and be even more precise with the cutting, and make my seam allowances more on the "scant" side.  Most of my blocks end up too small.  And I know that overall I just need to SLOW DOWN. 

So here's my list:

Recent Completions:
 
Wrap Shirt
 
WIPs:
 
Farmer's Wife (LONG term project! - 20 blocks completed)
Fat Quarter Shop BOM (TWELVE of twelve completed!! Center of quilt completed, needs borders)
Ruby, Pearl and Opal (waiting for my bee blocks)
Craftsy QAYG quilt (two of twelve completed)
Blue and white shirt (maybe finish for Collette?)
Cameo Dress

At the Quilters:
 
Summer Breeze Jewels 
Hugs and Kisses
 
Top Completed, waiting for quilting:
Swoon
Salad
Basic Math

Planning:

New FQS BOM quilt
Toes in the sand BOM quilt
Heart of Mine 2
Simply Woven
Lucky Pezzy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…