Skip to main content

The quilt that almost defeated me

Have you ever had one of the projects where you just couldn't seem to win?  Where you made mistake after mistake, and things just never seemed to go right?  This was one of those.  One entire evening working on this quilt was spent with Dr. Who on Netflix whilst working the seam ripper.

It started off innocently enough.  I have a new nephew, and I wanted to make him a fun little quilt.  I saw this one on Moda Bake Shop, and it seemed perfect.  The new nephew's older brother LOVED playing with creases as a baby, and I have many memories of doing the same on my now-disintegrated baby blanket.  So I loved this one.  I had some Summersville for an appropriately boyish quilt, and off I went.  It started off well enough, but all went downhill fast.  Silly mistakes, mistakes in judgement, problems with the machine, etc. etc.  I had to do some serious adjustments to my machine to machine quilt this one.  I learned to sew on this machine, and have been using it for 30 years, and I have NEVER had to adjust the bobbin tension.  So that was disconcerting.  Not to mention that with the walking foot on, I can't access the bobbin case, so I must have taken that foot on and off a dozen times finishing this quilt.

But it's done, and that's what matters!  It actually does lie flat, I was just so ready to get to bed by the time it was done!  I did it without a binding, which I think fit the design well.


And I think the crinkles are going to be great for a baby/toddler to dig their fingers into.  Get them hooked on textiles early!    


It's going through the washer and dryer today, so it's nice and fresh for baby Adric (among other things, the cat decided to use it as her bed one night!).  I'm anxious to give it to the little guy, although it will be a while before he's old enough to play with it.


Comments

  1. Some times if your bobbin case starts having issues, it needs to be replaced. I just replaced mine on a machine I have had for 25 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that tutorial and thought it looked like a fun quilt. Would you make one again? Any tips for avoiding the mistakes you made? Your quilt turned out darling but now I'm feeling a bit nervous about trying it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…