Skip to main content

Summer Days

The 4th was great - a total "Americana" kind of day.  Isadora rode in the float for the YMCA, complete with red and blue stripes in her hair.  We went swimming in the pond with the kids - what fun!




Although the bridge is a bit wonky (okay, completely wonky), it's still a great place to sit, and generally cool when there is a breeze coming over the water.  Isadora is still not the strongest swimmer, so she hung onto Marc pretty firmly.  



Sofi had a great time.  She had left her suit at Sean and Barb's, so just stripped down (and kept stripping down) until she was completely naked, running up and down the bridge yelling WHHHEEEEE!!!!  It was quite adorable, and one of the benefits of living in the country is that no one is around to see it but us!


We got the float out, too, and the kids took turns drifting over the pond.


It took a bit of work to get it back to the bridge!

We're still trying to figure out how to fix the bridge.  We're actually tossing around the idea of doing a floating bridge instead.  I think it has merit.  I do love having it, it's great to sit and hang your feet in the water.  

On Friday Erin (art teacher from the high school, and friend of Collette's) came to take portraits.  She has a couple of fantastic ones!  She posted a couple of teasers on facebook, and I can't wait to see them all. 

We also got quite a bit of work done outside.  Branches picked up, gravel pile distributed, rain barrel in, burn barrel moved, windows washed.  We went into town and I got fabric to make Isadora several complete back to school ensembles, as well.  She picked out leopard print for a dress - should be entertaining to see the finished product!  I'm trying to let her develop her own style, though, so my only restrictions on her selections were that it had to be reasonably priced, machine washable, and appropriate for the garment.  I hope to get to them, but may have to ask Mom to help out to get them done.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…