Skip to main content

This and that and progress

I had another project jump the queue.  I have a brand new nephew, Adric, and I hadn't really thought about making him a quilt.  I'm not sure why, although the fact that his grandmother (my sister's MIL) is an amazing quilter herself and probably has something in the works for him might have had something to do with it!  Grandma Susan is amazing (we've pretty much adopted her into the family).  She is the one who encouraged me to start quilting, so I'm forever grateful to her!

But back on point, I decided that a baby can't have too many blankets, and started to whip one up.  Most of my fabric is decidedly more feminine, but I did have a stash of some Summersville, with matching solids, that has been waiting for inspiration to strike.  A quick trip to the Moda Bake Shop, and Summersville Crinkle is in the works. 



The pattern calls for using the tension method for creating the ruffles.  I'd never done that before, but decided to give it a whirl.  All I can say is WOW, that is a great way to make ruffles!  It worked like a charm.  It actually ruffled it up a bit too much, but I left plenty of thread for adjustments.  


I'm thinking of finishing this one off without binding, too.  It seems like a good size to try that, and I think the pattern lends itself well to not having a binding.  

I also cut out a couple of shirts last night.  One should go together quickly, but it's a very slick, silky fabric, so that should be an adventure to work with.  The other has a bit more detail, but it's a cotton fabric that should be pretty easy to work with.  

Recent Completions:

Stacks of Color

WIPs:
Farmer's Wife (LONG term project!)
Fat Quarter Shop BOM (TWELVE of twelve completed!!)
Ruby, Pearl and Opal (waiting for my bee blocks)
Craftsy QAYG quilt
Black and White shirt
Pin tuck shirt
Summersville Crinkle

Top Completed, waiting for quilting

Swoon
Summer Breeze Jewels
Salad
Hugs and Kisses
Basic Math

Planning:

Heart of Mine 2
Simply Woven
Lucky Pezzy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…