Skip to main content

Progress!

Making some bit of progress here and there!  The biggest one is that I finished putting together the Hugs and Kisses quilt top.  It's made with two Zippedy-Do-Dah jelly rolls.  Just don't look too closely at the points, please.  Lesson to me, take more time when you're cutting.  I may have rushed a bit too much, and made it worse when sewing the two pieces on the bias together.  So this one is best examined from a distance!



 Also somewhat completed is the Basic Math quilt (sorry about the shadow in the picture - love my design wall, but it's underneath a soffit).  I'm torn on this one.  Part of me thinks it needs to be calmed down a bit with sashing (either between all the blocks, or making smaller squares of blocks) and part of me just wants to go with the crazy.  Thoughts?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…