Skip to main content

Another Finish! And a milestone...

This is my Supersize Shoefly.  I think it turned out pretty well.  It was a relatively quick one, one of those total impulse makes after seeing the pattern.  I am going to try and sell it this weekend at a craft fair (thanks for letting me in your booth, Mom!) so I snapped a couple of pictures in the house last night.


It's big, easily big enough for a twin bed.  After a bit of research, I have found that there is absolutely no consensus out there in blogland about how to price a quilt, so I'm just going to take a stab at it and see what happens.  


 I did a fun pieced back, too.  Used up quite a bit of the rest of the fabric, and gave it a little punch.  I also had the long arm quilter do a bit of custom quilting, so it was fun coming up with that.

But in what I think of as slightly more exciting news, I FINISHED THE 9TH SWOON BLOCK!!!  I did a happy dance when I got them all up on the wall.  I love them!  I used some of my prodigious store of batik fat quarters (I may have a problem when it comes to collecting fat quarters) in the purple/pink/black family.  Can't wait to see this one finished!




Comments

  1. i love your shoe-fly! so cute it makes me want to sew on, like, right now! :)
    pricing a quilt is brutal. do you charge for your time? just the materials? how much for your time? how much can you mark up materials? ugh... it makes me dizzy thinking about it. I hope you figured out a solution you're comfortable with & that it sells at your mom's booth! it's certainly cute enough to deserve a good price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shoofly quilt is so bright and colourful. And swoon quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shoo fly quilt. I have fabrics to make one but it is still on the to do list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…