Skip to main content

Instagram Finish


I call this one Fall Lines.  It's a very quick and simple pattern, obviously.  But I love the colors of the batiks used here.  (The cat, Juliet, apparently loves them, too.  I couldn't get her off the quilt while i was trying to take pictures.) The pattern is from Fat Quarters Anonymous.  

I had intended to give this one to the church to auction off at the Fall Dinner, but I didn't get it finished in time.  I finally got the binding sewn on recently, and wasn't sure where it would go. I  decided to give it to my grandmother for Christmas.  She was delighted, so that makes me happy.  And in fact my grandfather (other side of the family) was there when she opened it, and made a request for a quilt, too.  That's now jumped to the top of my priority list.  Grandpa is 89, so I'd better get busy.  

The picture does make me realize that one of my goals for this year is to get my borders to lie more smoothly.  Any suggestions?

Comments

  1. Great colors! Borders can be tricky. In order to get your borders to lie smoothly the measurements of the quilt sides need to be the same. With a quilt like this that is a little more free form, you could just trim. If you've already tried that and it's still not working, I'd suggest pinning the border to the quilt - not just laying it on and sewing. I tend to overdo things - I usually measure the width of the quilt in three places (top, bottom and middle of the quilt), then I average that measurement. (If the quilt measures 34", 35" and 36" - the border measurement would be 35" - a pretty extreme example, most aren't that much off.) I would then mark 35" on my border strip with pins (don't cut yet). I mark the center of the edge of the quilt and the border piece and also make marks at 1/4 and 3/4 on both border and quilt. Then I match those points up and ease in either the quilt or the border. When you're happy with each border, trim the ends. Repeat the process for the other border sides. Remember, the 2nd set of sides needs to be longer by the width of the border x 2 - but I'm sure you knew that. Borders also need to have the same amount of quilting as the body of the quilt in order to lay smoothly. Good luck! Lois

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starry Field

Another Moda Bakeshop  finish!  I love how this one turned out.  It definitely too a while, and is by far the most complex pattern I've done, but I think there are so many possibilities with this one, and I hope that some people make this one and let me know what they've done.


So many stars!  My flying geese ruler definitely came in handy for cutting things out, and proper trimming was absolutely key to this one coming out properly.  All those flying geese - the extra time in trimming was definitely made up in having the squares all come together easily for the final assembly.


Mary, of Round the Bend quilting, fit me in on short notice, and did a great job of it.  A simple all over pattern, based on a small star shape and stippling, worked just perfectly.


I went with a poly batting, since I wanted something very white to keep the color for the background bright, and I love the loft it gave it too.


I had two people handy to do the quilt holding, and grabbed this shot just as …

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…